Café Au Lait Mousse
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 10 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1½ cups sugar, divided
- 2 cups double-strength brewed coffee
- 4 oz. cream cheese, cubed
- ⅓ cup Kahlúa liqueur
- 1¼ cups whipping cream, whipped stiff, divided
- rind of 2 lemons, slivered
- ½ cup water
- In a saucepan, combine the cornstarch and 1¼ cups sugar. Stir in the coffee and place over low heat. Cook, stirring, until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Remove from the heat and stir in the cream cheese and liqueur until smooth and well thickened. Cover and let cool at room temperature for 2 hours. Fold in 1 cup whipped cream, cover, and chill overnight.
- While the coffee mixture cools, make candied lemon rind: Mix together the lemon rind, the remaining ¼ cup sugar, and the water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until almost all the syrup is absorbed. Spread the rind on a piece of greased aluminum foil and let cool.
- The next day, spoon coffee mousse into serving dishes and garnish with the remaining whipped cream. Sprinkle the lemon rind on top of the whipped cream before serving.