Donʼt let the length of the ingredients list deter you. This dish is simple to make and rewards you with layers of bold flavors. It’s also a great way to use up leftover rice.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, cored and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 lb. diced ham (tasso or smoked, if you have it)
- 1 lb. chicken meat, cut into chunks
- 2 lbs. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14 oz.) tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. Tabasco sauce, or more to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. dried sage
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- In a heavy soup pot over medium-high heat, combine oil and sliced andouille. Sauté, stirring constantly, until sausage begins to brown. Add onion and bell pepper; continue to sauté 3 to 5 minutes, until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add garlic, ham, chicken, and shrimp. Stir well to blend; cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, Tabasco, bay leaves, sage, and thyme; stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low; cover. Simmer 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover; continue cooking an additional 20 minutes, or until mixture reaches desired thickness.
- Turn off heat; stir in rice, salt and pepper. Cover; let stand 5 minutes before serving.