Cake Mix Lemon Squares
Colorful and flavorful with a creamy melt-in-your-mouth texture, this quick-bake take on a time-tested Southern favorite is sure to please.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 box (18.25 oz.) lemon cake mix
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 3⁄4 cup melted butter, divided
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9-by-13-inch Pyrex pan with aluminum foil. Leave enough foil sticking up from the pan to allow you to use it to lift out the baked bars. Grease the foil.
- Set aside 1 cup cake mix; reserve for later use.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the remaining cake mix, 1 egg, and 1⁄4 cup melted butter with an electric mixer on low speed to form a smooth batter.
- Pat this mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- In a separate bowl, mix remaining 3 eggs, remaining 1⁄2 cup melted butter, buttermilk, lemon juice, granulated sugar, and lemon zest. Beat for 2 minutes with an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Add lemon mixture over batter layer in pan. Bake for 35 minutes or until set and golden.
- Use oven mitts to lift cookies out of pan by the aluminum foil edges. Remove to wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.