Cake Mix Sandwich Cookies
Remember the sandwich cookies that were served during snack-time at school? The home-baked version is even better!
Serves: 24Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 box (18.25 oz.) devil’s food cake mix
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 envelope (0.25 oz.) unflavored gelatin
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 lb. plus 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Grease a large baking sheet.
- Combine cake mix, eggs, water, oil, and cocoa powder. Mix well using electric mixer on medium speed.
- Butter your hands, form dough into balls, and place on the cookie sheet. Flatten each ball with the palm of your hand or a fork. Bake for 9 minutes.
- Remove cookies to a paper towel. Flatten each cookie with the bottom of a clean mug. Let cool for 20 minutes.
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, mix gelatin powder and cold water. Heat in microwave until gelatin is transparent, about 15 seconds. Set gelatin mixture aside to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl beat the shortening until fluffy. Gently fold in vanilla and confectioners’ sugar. Mix cooled gelatin into shortening mixture.
- Sandwich the filling between two cookies, rounded sides facing out.