A rich and hearty meatloaf is always welcome. This one is full of texture, flavor, and color.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 small jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup chili sauce, divided
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 tsp. dried basil leaves
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb. ground pork
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, the bell peppers, garlic, and jalapeño peppers; cook and stir for 6 to 7 minutes until tender. Remove from heat and place in large bowl.
- Add eggs, 1⁄2 cup chili sauce, oatmeal, basil, thyme, salt, and cayenne pepper and mix well. Add beef and pork and mix well.
- Form into a loaf and place in pan. In small bowl, combine remaining 1⁄4 cup chili sauce, brown sugar, and mustard; pour over loaf. Bake for 75 minutes until internal meat thermometer registers 160°F.
- Cover meatloaf and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing to serve.