Calamari with Lime Aioli
Traditional French aioli is made in the same manner as traditional Spanish aioli. This is a quick version using commercial mayonnaise, minced garlic, and lime juice.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 medium limes
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 lbs. calamari, cut into rings
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- Grate the zest from one lime and add it to the mayonnaise. Add the juice from the lime and the garlic and mix well. Cut the other lime into wedges. Set aside.
- Mix the rice flour, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl. Toss a handful of calamari in flour mixture and shake off excess in a strainer.
- Heat oil to 365°F in a deep fryer or heavy pot and fry the coated calamari until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining calamari.
- Serve calamari immediately with lime aioli and lime wedges.