Calzone Picnic Pies
These handheld pies are British in concept, but the melt-in-your mouth flaky piecrust is filled with ingredients found more often in Italian fare. It’s a fantastic combination!
Serves: 12Prep: 30 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 cups Kroger® All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup Kroger® Unsalted Butter, cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil or 1½ Tbsp. minced fresh basil
- 2 1⁄4 cups marinara sauce
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into 12 pieces
- To make dough, in a medium bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in just enough ice water to form dough. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- To make filling, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, bell peppers, onion and basil; cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes until vegetables start to soften. Stir in marinara sauce. Cook 3-5 minutes longer until vegetables are tender.
- Unwrap chilled dough; divide into 12 portions. On a well-floured surface, roll each out into 6” round. Lay each in cup of 12-cup muffin pan; trim edges to leave ½”-¾” rim. Roll trimmed edges into 12 small rounds to top pies.
- Fill each crust with ¼ cup filling. Press ½ ounce cheese into each. Top each with small dough round, sealing to rim of bottom crust.
- Bake pies 30-40 minutes until crust is lightly browned. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 day. Reheat to serve.