It is possible to refrigerate or even freeze cooked calzoni. Freeze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Then transfer to airtight plastic bags. To serve, reheat in a preheated 375°F oven for 10 minutes.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ½ lb. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ lb. ricotta cheese
- ¼ lb. pepperoni, minced
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 package (12 oz.) round wonton wrappers
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the wonton skins and oil and blend well.
- Lay out about 10 wonton skins on the work surface. Keep others covered with a towel. Place 1½ teaspoons of cheese mixture in the lower center of each wonton skin. Fold over and press edges firmly to seal. To ensure a tight seal, moisten the lower edge with water before pressing closed. Cover filled skins with a kitchen towel to prevent drying.
- In a 5-quart saucepan or a deep fryer, heat oil to 370°F. Fry calzoni 8 at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Remove and let drain on paper towels. Serve hot.