Candied Citrus Peels
These little candies are delicious on their own, served with ice cream, or dipped in chocolate. Use lemons, limes, or oranges—you won’t be disappointed!
Serves: 16Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 6 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 large navel oranges or 5 large lemons
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 3⁄4 cup water
- Cut the tops and bottoms off the citrus, then score into quarters, cutting only through the peels and not the fruit. Remove peels and save the fruit for another recipe. Or eat it.
- Cut peels into 1⁄4-inch strips. Boil strips in water for 5 minutes. Drain, rinse, and repeat with fresh water two more times. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups sugar and water to a simmer, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add citrus peels to sugar syrup and keep at a low simmer for about 45 minutes, until the peels are translucent.
- Strain out peels and roll them in 1⁄4 cup sugar. Lay out on parchment paper and allow them to dry for 5 hours, then store in an airtight container.