Caramel Apple Crumble
This classic, casserole-style dessert never goes out of style.
Serves: 16Prep: 15 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 45 minutes
- 1 cup Simple Truth Organic™ Light Brown Sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup Simple Truth Organic™ Salted Butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 3⁄4 cups plus 3 tablespoons Simple Truth Organic™ Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
- 1 cup Simple Truth™ Old Fashioned Oats, quick cooking
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 7 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 package (12 oz.) caramels
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For the crust and topping: Beat the brown sugar, butter and shortening in a large mixing bowl until creamy. Add the oats, 1 3/4 cups flour, salt and baking soda.
- Beat until mixed. Reserve 2 cups of the oat mixture. Pat remaining oat mixture over the bottom of an ungreased 9”x13” baking pan.
- For the filling: Toss apples with 3 tablespoons flour in a bowl. Sprinkle apples over the prepared layer. Heat caramels in a small saucepan (or microwave) over low heat until melted, stirring frequently. Drizzle caramel over apples and sprinkle with the reserved oat mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until brown, bubbly and apples are tender. Cool in pan on a wire rack.