Caramel Apple Empanadas
These are a sweet version of a traditional Mexican treat.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 1 package (12 oz.) Stouffer’s frozen harvest apples
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 6 Tbsp. melted butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground allspice
- 3 1⁄2 cups pancake and baking mix
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place apples in a large bowl and thaw in a microwave at 50% power for 6 to 7 minutes. Set aside for 3 minutes. Stir in flour.
- Pour 4 tablespoons melted butter into a medium skillet over medium heat. Add apple mixture, brown sugar, and allspice. Cook, stirring constantly, for 4 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat. Coarsely mash apple mixture and set aside.
- In a bowl, stir together baking mix and whipping cream with a fork until moistened. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 3 to 4 times.
- Roll the dough to 1⁄2-inch thickness and cut into 12 squares (5 inches). Divide apple mixture into 12 portions and place 1 portion in the center of each square.
- Fold 1 side of square diagonally over the other, pressing edges with a fork to seal. Place on prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with remaining 2 tablespoons butter and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.