Caramel Apple Pie-Wich
Who knew caramel apples could get any better? This fresh take turns the classic treat into delicious cookie sandwiches, and instantly transforms your holiday moments into sweet ones.
Prep: 2 hoursCook: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup butter, softened, plus ½ stick, cubed
- 1 cup brown sugar, divided
- 2 cups brown sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 cups quick oats
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- Red apples, thinly sliced
- Green apples, thinly sliced
- In large mixing bowl, mix together softened butter, white sugar and 1 cup brown sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in vanilla.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir into creamed mixture. Mix in oats. Cover; chill at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease cookie sheets. Shape dough into small balls; place 2” apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheets; transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.
- In heavy saucepan over low heat, combine 1 cup brown sugar, cubed butter and milk. Cook, stirring, until brown sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat to medium and do not stir. Continue cooking 3 to 6 minutes, until bubbles form in center of pan or mixture turns to an amber hue.
- Remove from heat; transfer to small bowl. Cool until room temperature. In mixer, add caramel mixture. Gradually mix in powdered sugar until combined and creamy.
- To serve, spread salted caramel buttercream on bottom of cooled cookie. Layer thinly sliced apples, and for extra caramel flavor, a drizzle caramel over the apples. Top with another cookie.