Caramel Churro Sufganiyot
Skip the mess of conventional oil frying! Using an air fryer gives a nice color and texture to these dulce de leche-filled Hanukkah donuts.
Serves: 20Prep: 20 minutesCook: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 package (0.25 oz.) Kroger Brand Active Dry Yeast
- 3⁄4 cup milk, warm but not hot (100-110°F)
- 3⁄4 cup Kroger Brand Pure Cane Granulated Sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil spray
- 1⁄2 cup dulce de leche or thick caramel sauce
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In bowl of stand mixer, combine yeast, milk and 2 tablespoons sugar. Let stand about 5 minutes or until small bubbles are visible.
- Add eggs, butter, salt and 2 more tablespoons sugar. Using dough hook, beat until mixed.
- Add 3 cups flour. Mix until dough pulls away from side of bowl. If dough is too wet, add additional flour 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time until dough is tacky but not sticky.
- Knead dough in mixer on medium-low speed 5 to 7 minutes.
- Place dough in greased bowl; cover. Let rise at room temperature 1 hour or until doubled.
- Gently deflate dough. Place on floured surface; roll to ½” thickness. Use floured 2½” round cutter to cut dough. Knead and re-roll scraps for additional donuts.
- Transfer cutouts to parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover; let rise at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat air fryer to 350°F.
- In wide, shallow bowl, mix together cinnamon and remaining ½ cup sugar. Set aside.
- Transfer dulce de leche to piping bag fitted with round piping tip.
- Lightly spray air fryer basket with oil spray. In single layer, add cut out dough; spray tops lightly with oil.
- Air fry 4 to 6 minutes, flipping halfway, until golden brown.
- Spray cooked donuts lightly with additional oil spray; immediately toss in cinnamon sugar to coat.
- Using the tip of the piping bag, make a slight hole in the center top of each doughnut; fill with dulce de leche.
- Store in airtight container at room temperature.