These brownies have bits of gooey caramel within the rich brownie. Don’t try to cut or eat these when they are hot—you could be badly burned by the hot caramel.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 box (16.5 oz.) German chocolate cake mix
- 3⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄3 cup plus 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk, divided
- 14 oz. caramels
- 2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking pan; set aside.
- Mix cake mix with butter and 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk. Press 1⁄3 of the mixture gently into pan; bake 6 minutes, or until set. Remove wrappers from caramels and microwave with 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk, stirring until caramels are melted.
- Remove brownies from oven; sprinkle chocolate chips over top. Spoon melted caramel over chocolate chips. Crumble remaining brownie dough over top of all. Top with pecans. Bake 15 more minutes.