Caramel French Silk Pie with Pretzel Crust
This easy twist on French silk pie uses a sweet and salty pretzel-based crust, a caramel sauce base and a classic French silk filling.
Serves: 8Prep: 13 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 43 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 cups mini-pretzels
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed, divided
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 stick plus 2½ Tbsp. butter, softened
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a pie dish with nonstick cooking spray or butter.
- Add pretzels and ¼ cup brown sugar to a food processor. Pulse until almost completely crushed. Slowly drizzle in melted butter while pulsing.
- Transfer mixture to pie dish, then use your fingers or the side of a measuring cup to push the crust into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and set. Cool completely.
- In a medium saucepan, add 2½ tablespoons butter and brown sugar. Turn the heat to medium. Let the butter and sugar melt, stirring occasionally. Once all of the butter has melted, add in heavy cream. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the sugar has completely melted. Remove from stove; set aside.
- Put the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 25-second intervals, stirring in between each interval, until chocolate is almost melted. Once chocolate has just a few pieces left, stir until completely melted. (The heat of the bowl will finish melting the chocolate.)
- In a small saucepan, whisk sugar and egg yolks together. Turn the heat down to low, and while stirring almost constantly, heat the mixture up until the sugar has melted and the mixture is hot. It should coat the back of a spoon and when you run your finger through the middle, nothing should drip down. Remove from heat and add chocolate; stir until combined. Cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, cream remaining 1 stick butter with a hand-held mixer. Cream until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Add in chocolate mixture; beat until combined.
- Gently fold in 1 cup of whipped topping until combined.
- Pour caramel into the cooled crust. Pour chocolate filling on top. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for six hours or preferably overnight.
- Before serving, top with remaining whipped topping, extra crushed pretzels and shaved chocolate.