Caramelized Carrots with Herbed Mushroom Topping
Extra-large carrots, sometimes referred to as “horse” carrots, make a delicious bread-free base for these earthy mushroom bites. Regular large carrots may also be used, just decrease the amount of topping per carrot piece. The mushroom topping can be made ahead and reheated for entertaining ease.
Serves: 16Prep: 15 minutesCook: 10 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 extra-large carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 tsp. Simple Truth Organic™ Liquid Coconut Oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 4 ounces Simple Truth Organic™ Whole Baby Bella Mushrooms, halved and thinly sliced (about 4 large mushrooms)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh Simple Truth Organic™ Thyme
- Coarse ground black pepper, if desired
- Place oven rack on highest position; preheat broiler.
- Slice carrots diagonally into ¼” pieces. Lightly brush with coconut oil and place oil side down on a baking sheet. Brush tops of carrots with oil. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt. Broil for 7 minutes or until browned and just beginning to char. Remove from heat.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and remaining salt; sauté 3 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown. Add thyme and sauté 1 minute. Top each carrot piece with mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with pepper, if desired. Serve warm.