Caramelized Ginger Carrots
This is a simple side dish that is full of flavor. Serve it with grilled or roasted chicken, or during the holidays along with a baked ham.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄4 lbs. carrots, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened orange juice
- 1⁄8 tsp. all-natural sea salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 tsp. orange zest, plus strips of zest for garnish
- 1 Tbsp. grated gingerroot
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- In a large saucepan, combine carrots, orange juice, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until carrots are crisp-tender.
- Add orange zest, gingerroot, and olive oil, and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until most of the orange juice evaporates and the carrots start to brown, stirring frequently, about 4 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately, garnishing with strips of orange zest.