Caramelized Onion and Apple Focaccia
Gruyère and brown sugar make this a fabulous focaccia. Serve as a welcoming first course.
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 large apples, peeled, cored and sliced ⅛” thick
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 4 ounces gruyère cheese, coarsely grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 loaf focaccia bread, sliced in half horizontally (like opening a book)
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add onions and ½ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- In the same skillet, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add apples and sugar. Cook, stirring, until the apples are soft, about 10 minutes. Add to the caramelized onions bowl with ⅔ of the grated cheese, chives, thyme, rosemary and pepper.
- Lightly brush each half of focaccia with olive oil and top with onion-apple mixture. Add a sprinkle of remaining cheese on top. Broil until cheese begins to bubble, 3-4 minutes.