Caramelized Onion Potato Gratin
Caramelized onions are very sweet and nutty tasting. Be sure to cook them until golden brown to get the correct flavor.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 can (13 oz.) nonfat evaporated milk
- ½ cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh rosemary
- 3 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In large skillet, melt butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until onions are light golden brown, about 20–30 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir for 4 minutes longer. Remove from heat and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In small saucepan, combine milk with sour cream and rosemary; bring just to a simmer, stirring well; remove from heat. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 13" x 9" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer potatoes, onion mixture, and cheese in dish. Pour milk mixture over all. Bake for 65–70 minutes or until potatoes are tender and top is golden brown.