Caramelized Red Onion Relish
This is absolutely delightful when mixed with extra-virgin olive oil and used as vinaigrette on a salad of lettuce, tomatoes, fresh basil, scallions, and a handful of blueberries.
Makes: 6 pintsHands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 6 pints
- 6 large red onions, peeled and sliced very thinly
- ¾ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups dry red wine
- ½ cup aged balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- In a heavy nonstick skillet, combine onions and sugar with olive oil; heat over medium-high heat. Cook uncovered for 25 minutes, or until onions turn golden and start to caramelize, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in wine, vinegar, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cook 15 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring frequently.
- Ladle into sterilized jars, leaving ½" headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process in a water-bath canner for 10 minutes.