Soft, sweet and perfumed with bright and fruity cardamom, these Swedish-inspired rolls take your coffee break to the next level.
Serves: 16Prep: 2 hours 40 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 3 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1 package (0.25 oz.) Active Dry Yeast
- 1 cup milk, warm but not hot (100-110°F)
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened and divided
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3 1⁄2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ground cardamom, divided
- 4 tablespoons water
- In bowl of stand mixer, combine yeast, milk, ¼ cup melted butter and 1 tablespoon sugar. Let stand for about 5 minutes or until small bubbles are visible.
- Add flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon cardamom. Using dough hooks, mix on low until flour is combined. Increase speed to medium-low; knead dough 5 to 7 minutes.
- Grease bowl. Place dough in prepared bowl. Cover; rest at room temperature 60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, make filling by combining remaining ½ cup butter, ½ cup sugar and 1 tablespoon ground cardamom until evenly blended.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Transfer dough to floured surface; roll to 20”x12” rectangle. Spread surface with filling.
- Fold dough in thirds like a letter. Roll out again until about 16”x9”.
- Using pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut dough into 16 strips, each 1”-wide.
- Twist and pull each strip, creating a spiral. Pick up one end of dough and wrap it around a few fingers, about 2 times, like a bandage. Take rest of strip over top of bun and tuck end in bottom center of roll. Place on prepared pan. Repeat with remaining dough strips.
- Loosely cover pan; let rise about 45 minutes or until puffed.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan over medium heat, combine 4 tablespoons water and remaining 4 tablespoons sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- When buns come out of oven, brush with sugar syrup. Serve warm.
- Store cooled buns in an airtight container at room temperature.