Cardamom Chicken (Eliachi Murgh)
Serve this dish, eliachi murgh, with basmati rice or Indian flatbreads.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 6 green cardamom pods, roughly pounded
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 1½ lbs. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. red chili powder
- ¼ tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 cup hung yogurt or Greek yogurt
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the cardamom pods and sauté for 10 seconds. Add the onion and sauté until well browned, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken cubes and sauté until well browned, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the salt, red chili powder, and turmeric powder; mix well. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the yogurt and mix well. Fry for another 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add about ½ cup of water, cover, and cook on low heat until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes.