Cardamom-Flavored Lamb (Eliachi Gosht)
This is a popular curry from western India. Serve with warm Indian flat breads such as chapati or naan.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 50 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup blanched almonds
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, minced
- 2 serrano green chilies, seeded and minced
- 4 green cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 lb. lean lamb chunks
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. cream
- Table salt, to taste
- 1 tsp. cardamom powder
- In a food processor, combine the almonds with a few tablespoons of water to make a thick, coarse paste. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the vegetable oil. Add the onion and sauté until golden brown, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add the green chilies, cardamom pods, and lamb; sauté for about 25 minutes. If the lamb starts to stick to the pan, add about 1 tablespoon of water.
- Add the yogurt and fry for 5 minutes. Add the almond paste, then add the water and bring to a full boil. Cover, lower heat, and cook for about 50 minutes or until the lamb is tender and cooked through.
- Add the cream and mix well. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Add salt to taste. Sprinkle with the cardamom powder and serve hot.