Cardamom Ice Cream
Cardamom and vanilla ice cream are a match made in heaven—while wonderful served on its own, this easily prepared cardamom ice cream is phenomenal as an accompaniment to warm fruit pies or fruit crumbles.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 vanilla bean, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 Tbsp. ground cardamom
- Beat together the egg yolks and superfine sugar until creamy.
- In a saucepan, combine the milk and whipping cream. Scrape the seeds of the vanilla bean into the liquid, then add the bean halves and the cardamom. Heat the milk over medium-high heat just until it reaches a low scald.
- Remove from heat and very slowly whisk the warm milk in a steady stream into the egg yolks. After the custard is thoroughly combined, remove the vanilla bean halves and return the custard to the saucepan. Bring the custard to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 8 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat, cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Prepare the ice cream in an ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions.