Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3½ cups flour
- 1¼ cups lukewarm water (about 110ºF)
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. ground cardamom
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Dissolve yeast in water and stir in honey. Let sit until it becomes foamy (about 10 minutes).
- Add olive oil, flour, salt, and cardamom and stir until the dough forms into a manageable ball. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (about 6 minutes). Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and shape into balls. Set the balls on an oiled baking sheet and brush with additional olive oil. Cover loosely with plastic and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (1 to 2 hours).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each ball into an 8" disk. Arrange them on oiled baking sheets and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Light the grill. Brush each naan lightly with olive oil and grill for about 1 minute, until golden on the bottom and light bubbles form on the top. Turn and cook until golden all over (about 1 minute).