Ginger and pineapple combine with beef and vegetables to make an excellent and easy dinner perfect for entertaining.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1½ lbs. top round of beef, cubed
- 1 can (13 oz.) pineapple tidbits
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. minced ginger root
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 medium red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts
- 3 scallions, sliced
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Then add cubes of beef; brown on all sides, about 5 minutes total.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Remove beef from skillet and add juice, water, vinegar, brown sugar, salt, and ginger root and bring to a simmer. Return beef to skillet, cover, and simmer over low heat until beef is tender, about 40 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix cornstarch and soy sauce. Add to beef mixture along with bell pepper and water chestnuts. Cook and stir for 8 to 10 minutes until sauce thickens, beef is very tender, and peppers are crisp-tender. Add scallions and toss to combine. Serve hot.