Caribbean Chicken Curry
Traditional Jamaican curries are cooked for long periods of time on the stovetop, making them a logical fit for the slow cooker. The spices meld together, and the chicken is very tender.
Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 8 hours 15 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. gluten-free Madras curry powder
- 1 tsp. allspice
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 tsp. canola oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 medium jalapeños, chopped, seeds removed
- ½ lb. red skin potatoes, cubed
- ⅓ cup light coconut milk
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the curry powder, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger. Add the chicken and toss to coat each piece evenly.
- Place the chicken in a nonstick skillet and quickly sauté until the chicken starts to brown. Add to a 4–6-quart slow cooker along with the remaining spice mixture.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet and sauté the onion, garlic, and jalapeños until fragrant, about 3–5 minutes. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add the potatoes and coconut milk to the slow cooker. Stir. Cook 8 hours on low.