Caribbean Coconut Shrimp
If you can’t find unsweetened grated coconut, you may use sweetened shredded, but it will burn quicker and turn dark because of the added sugar caramelizing.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup unsweetened grated coconut
- 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- Whip the egg whites until frothy and place in a bowl. Put the cornstarch and coconut in separate bowls. Dredge each shrimp in cornstarch, dip in egg whites, and coat with coconut.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep fryer or heavy pot to 365°F.
- Fry the shrimp in small batches until golden brown, about 2 to minutes.