These meatballs can be enjoyed as they are or with a dipping sauce such as sweet-and-sour sauce. Serve with toothpicks.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 28 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cloves
- 3⁄4 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup bread crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup minced green bell pepper
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 Tbsp. skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup sweet-and-sour sauce
- Preheat oven broiler. In a small bowl, beat the egg well and set aside.
- Mix the ginger, cloves, and sugar thoroughly with the bread crumbs. Mix the green pepper with the ground beef.
- Add the beaten egg, the bread crumb mixture, and milk to the ground beef and pepper mixture. Add more milk if the mixture is a bit dry.
- Roll the mixture into small balls about 1 1⁄2 inches in diameter (slightly smaller than a golf ball).
- Spray a rack with nonstick cooking spray and place the rack in a shallow roasting pan. (A baking sheet wonʼt allow the fat to drain from the meatballs.) Place the meatballs on the rack and broil for 8 minutes, until cooked through. Serve with sweet-and-sour sauce.