Caribbean Red Beans and Rice
Cook the beans from scratch and use the cooking liquid instead of the vegetable broth if you’ve got the time.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. dried rosemary
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- 1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1½ cups rice
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Use a food processor to process the garlic, onion, celery, and parsley until finely grated or minced.
- Heat onion mixture in olive oil, stirring frequently, for a few minutes until soft. Add rosemary, thyme, cloves, and beans, stirring to combine well. Cook for a few more minutes until fragrant.
- Reduce heat and add vegetable broth, bay leaves, and rice. Bring to a slow simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, uncover, and cook for 10 more minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.