Marinating the beef in lemon juice darkens the color, making it appear to be slightly cooked. Other Italian cheeses such as Gorgonzola or mozzarella can be used instead of the Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 oz. beef tenderloin, sliced paper thin
- 2 oz. coarsely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ French baguette, sliced
- Lightly grease 2 sheets of plastic wrap with olive oil. Place the beef between pieces of oiled plastic wrap. Pound with a mallet to thin the beef even further. Remove the beef from the wrap and brush on both sides with the lemon juice. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Cut the beef into thin strips. Lightly brush with the extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle the cracked black pepper over. Place on a serving dish and garnish with the fresh basil leaves and shredded cheese.