Grated carrots give these whole grain muffins color as well as texture. Try baking them in “muffin top” pans for shallow, domed-top muffins everyone will love.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat or oat bran
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- In a large bowl, combine flour, bran, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and brown sugar. Stir with a whisk to remove any lumps.
- In another bowl, whisk together yogurt, oil, and egg whites. Pour wet mixture into dry mixture, and stir until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in carrots and apricots.
- Divide mixture into 2 dozen non-stick muffin cups. Bake at 350ºF for 20 minutes or until nicely browned. Let stand in muffin pans for a few minutes before removing.