Carrot and Ginger Soup
This elegant soup is sure to be soothing to your whole system. Feel free to substitute vegetable stock for a vegetarian version.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 piece (2 inches) ginger, peeled and grated
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tsp. grated orange zest
- 1⁄8 tsp. sea salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Toast pumpkin seeds on a rimmed baking sheet under broiler 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-low heat. Add carrots and ginger and sauté 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add stock. Turn heat to high and bring just to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until carrots are soft.
- Purée the soup in a blender or food processor. Return to pot. Stir in orange juice, zest, salt, and pepper. Serve soup in bowls garnished with pumpkin seeds.