Carrot and Parsnip Soup
This is a brightly colored and flavored soup that can be enjoyed warm or cold. Possible garnishes include crème fraîche, sour cream, chopped chives, cilantro, fresh dill, or croutons.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 large parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2-inch piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and minced
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground white pepper
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 5 drops cayenne pepper sauce
- Over medium heat, sauté onion in butter until translucent. Add carrots and parsnips and sauté for 10 minutes. Add chicken broth and gingerroot, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until carrots and parsnips are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Purée soup in blender. Return to heat.
- Add salt, pepper, cumin, and pepper sauce and heat for 5 minutes to blend the flavors.