Carrot and Parsnip Soup with Ginger
Chop some fresh chives and add as a garnish to each serving of this soup.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 3 cups shredded parsnips
- 1 piece (1 inch) ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 cups reduced-sodium, fat-free vegetable broth
- 3⁄4 cup 2 percent milk
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground white pepper
- 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- Place carrots, parsnips, ginger, and broth in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Using a blender or food processor, purée the soup. Return to saucepan. Add milk and reheat over medium heat almost to a boil. Add lemon juice, salt, and white pepper. Garnish soup with lemon zest before serving.