Carrot and Potato Bake
This is the perfect, golden harvest vegetable entrée to serve on a nippy autumn evening. Havarti makes a good substitute for the Swedish Hushållsost cheese.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1” pieces
- 1½ tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 cup Hushållsost cheese, grated
- 1¼ cups half-and-half
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a medium baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan, place potatoes, carrots, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Add enough water to cover vegetables. Over high heat, bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. With a colander, drain and rinse with cold water. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- In a large bowl, gently toss the potatoes, carrots, thyme, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ cup of the shredded cheese. transfer to prepared baking dish. Pour the half-and-half over the casserole and sprinkle with the remaining cheese and pepper.
- Bake on the center rack of the oven for 30 minutes or until golden.