Carrot Purée with Nutmeg
Tasting and feeling like a cream soup, this soup will surprise your guests who won’t believe there’s no cream in this sweet, delicious soup. For best smoothness, use a blender to purée, not a food processor.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. white wine
- 4 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground white pepper
- ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
- 1¼ cups milk
- 2 tsp. freshly chopped chives or parsley
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, sauté for 5 minutes, add wine, and carrots. Cook for 1 minute, until wine evaporates.
- Add stock, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Ladle into a blender, add 1 cup milk, and blend until very smooth. Adjust consistency with more milk if necessary. Be careful when puréeing the hot liquid, starting the blender on the slowest speed, and/or doing the job in 2 batches. Serve garnished with a sprinkling of chives or parsley.