Carrots and Beets with Pesto
These roasted vegetables are sure to bring some color to your dinner. They’re roasted to perfection and topped with a homemade pesto that is sure to have your guests asking for more.
Serves: 8Prep: 25 minutesCook: 1 hourTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 2” pieces and halved lengthwise
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. Kroger® Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound beets (4 medium beets)
- 1⁄4 cup pecans
- 3⁄4 cup fresh parsley
- 3⁄4 cup fresh mint
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss the carrots with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp. pepper on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Tear 2 pieces of foil and place 2 beets on each sheet. Drizzle the beets with 1 tablespoon olive oil and wrap in the foil.
- Place the beets in the oven and bake until easily pierced with a knife, about 50-60 minutes. In the last 15 minutes of cooking time for the beets, place the carrots in the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes.
- While the beets and carrots are cooking, prepare the pesto. In a dry small skillet over low heat, toast the pecans. Cook for 5 minutes, then let cool. Transfer to a food processor.
- Add the parsley, mint, garlic, lemon zest, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Pulse to make a paste. While the processor is running, gradually add ¼ cup olive oil, then puree until smooth. Add the Parmesan and pulse to combine.
- Allow the beets to cool slightly, then peel and cut into wedges.
- Place the beets, carrots and pesto in a large bowl. Toss to coat.
- Serve and refrigerate leftovers.