Cashew Cream of Asparagus Soup
This dairy-free and soy-free asparagus soup with a rich cashew base brings out the natural flavors of the asparagus without relying on other enhancers.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lbs. asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3⁄4 cup raw cashews
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 tsp. sage
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- In a large soup or stock pot, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes until onion is soft. Reduce heat and carefully add asparagus and vegetable broth.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Cool slightly, then purée in a blender, working in batches as needed until almost smooth. Return to pot over low heat.
- Purée together cashews and water until smooth and add to soup. Add sage, salt, and pepper and heat for a few more minutes, stirring to combine.
- Stir in lemon juice and nutritional yeast just before serving.