Cashew Cream Sauce
To make an alcohol-free sauce, double the amount of vegetable stock or water instead of including 1 cup wine.
Serves: 20Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ½ cup vegan margarine
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups unsweetened soymilk, heated
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup cold unsweetened soymilk
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- Melt the margarine over medium heat in the pressure cooker. Add flour and stir to create a roux. Gradually whisk in the warm soymilk until there are no lumps. Lock the lid into place and bring to high pressure. Once the pressure is achieved, turn the heat to low and allow to cook for about 5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened. Remove from the heat and allow pressure to release naturally. Stir in ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Grind the cashews in a food processor or a coffee grinder. Set aside.
- Add the white wine to the pressure cooker over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Allow the wine to reduce by half. Stir in the ground cashews, cold soymilk, stock, and reserved sauce.
- Lock the lid into place and bring to low pressure. Maintain pressure for 5 minutes then allow pressure to release naturally. Remove lid and continue to cook over low heat, until reduced by half.
- Add remaining salt and pepper.