Cauliflower au Gratin
Here’s a wonderfully delicious and indulgent (yet healthy) side dish. The kids won’t even care that it’s cauliflower!
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cored and cut into florets
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. salt, divided
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a medium baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Add roughly 1 inch of water to a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower and 1 teaspoon salt and cook until tender (about 5 minutes). Drain and place in prepared baking dish.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Gradually add in the milk, whisking as you go. Add nutmeg and continue whisking until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the cauliflower in the baking dish. Sprinkle breadcrumbs and Parmesan on top and season with pepper and remaining salt. Bake for 30 minutes until bubbly and golden. Cool slightly before serving.