Cauliflower “Mac” and Cheese
The classic noodles are replaced with cauliflower for a low-carb twist on everyone’s favorite cheesy dish. Instead of one large baking dish, you can divide the cauliflower into 6 individual ramekins and bake for 30 minutes.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 cups coarsely chopped cauliflower
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 6 oz. cream cheese
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup almond meal
- 1⁄4 tsp. garlic salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toss cauliflower and 1⁄4 teaspoon salt in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, pierce plastic with a knife a few times to vent, and microwave on high 10 minutes. Carefully remove plastic and transfer cauliflower to a colander. Let cool 5 minutes, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Combine milk, cream cheese, mustard, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Heat, stirring constantly, until smooth, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat, add cauliflower, and toss to combine. Add mozzarella and 3⁄4 cup Cheddar and toss to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a large baking dish. Cover dish with foil and bake 45 minutes. Remove from oven and turn on broiler.
- Uncover baking dish and top with remaining Cheddar cheese, almond meal, garlic salt, and pepper. Broil until top is browned and sauce is bubbling, about 5 minutes.