Cauliflower and Potatoes (Aloo Gobi)
Indian food uses a variety of spices that are well known for their wonderful anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric and ginger are among the most common spices. This Indian recipe can be enjoyed as a meal or as a side dish.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. garlic paste
- 1 Tbsp. freshly grated gingerroot
- 1 Tbsp. ground coriander
- ¼ Tbsp. ground turmeric
- 1 cup water, divided
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large serrano pepper, split into 4 slices
- 1 large Yukon gold potato, cut into small cubes
- 1 tsp. cumin seed
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. minced fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, ginger, coriander, turmeric, and ½ cup water.
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat and add the serrano pepper and potato. Let them cook for 25–30 seconds. Immediately add the cumin seeds and cook until they begin to crack open. Add the garlic mixture. Cook for 2–4 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and stir to coat the pieces with the spices. Add the remaining ½ cup water and salt, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and keep stirring until the potato and cauliflower are fully cooked, approximately 3–5 minutes. Serve and garnish with fresh cilantro.