Céleri Rémoulade (Celery Rémoulade)
Along with Carottes Râpées, this raw vegetable appetizer is one of the most common at lunch.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. celery, peeled and diced
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 Tbsp. fresh tarragon, minced
- 1 Tbsp. drained capers
- 3 cornichons (gherkins)
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Fill a large bowl with ice water. Fill a medium saucepan with water, add 1 tablespoon of salt, and bring to a boil over high heat. Blanch the celery by adding to boiling water for 2 minutes, then removing and plunging in ice water.
- Put the blanched celery in a large salad bowl, and season with the juice of the other half of the lemon.
- In a separate bowl, combine mayonnaise, garlic, tarragon, and capers. Cut the cornichons in very thin slices, and add them as well.
- Add the mayonnaise sauce to the celery slowly, mixing well. Season with remaining salt and pepper. Leave in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.