Celery Root and Pear Purée
Makes a wonderful starter course to a holiday meal.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large celery root, peeled and cut into 1” cubes
- ½ large white onion, diced
- 2 ripe Anjou pears, peeled, cored, and diced
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Place the celery root, onion, and pears in a medium-size saucepan and covered with water; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the celery root is very soft, about 50 minutes. Drain, reserving ½ cup of the cooking liquid.
- Place the celery root mixture in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Add the cream, butter, salt, and pepper; pulse to combine. If necessary, reheat over low heat, stirring frequently. If the mixture seems too thick, add a little of the reserved cooking liquid. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve hot.