Ceviche Mixto (Mixed Seafood)
This handcrafted Peruvian ceviche, made with white fish, scallops and shrimp, is bursting with flavor. Serve it with tender sweet potatoes and corn for a filling and impressive meal.
Serves: 6Prep: 3 hoursCook: 20 minutesTotal: 3 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 small white fish fillets (Dover sole, flounder, cod or red snapper), cut into ½” slices
- 1⁄2 pound scallops, cut into ¼“ slices
- 1⁄2 pound large peeled and deveined shrimp, diced into ½” pieces
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 2 habanero peppers, cut in half
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet potato, cut in ½” slices
- 1⁄2 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- In large bowl, combine fish, scallops, shrimp, lime juice and habaneros. Mix well to thoroughly coat seafood. Cover; refrigerate 20 minutes, or until seafood starts turning opaque.
- Stir in cumin, cilantro and garlic. For medium to medium rare ceviche, return to refrigerator for 2 hours and 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. For well-done ceviche, refrigerate an additional 2 to 3 hours, or until all seafood is opaque and firm.
- Meanwhile, soak red onions in warm water 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- On stove, cover sweet potatoes with cold water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cook until sweet potatoes are easily pierced with fork.
- Garnish ceviche with red onions. Serve with sweet potatoes and corn.