These are the perfect chewy cookies for the holidays. With a little bit of sweet and spice and all that’s nice.
Makes: 15Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3⁄4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1⁄8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 tsp. gluten-free baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1⁄2 tsp. alcohol-free vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, allspice, pepper, and cloves. Remove 1⁄8 cup of sugar-spice mixture and set aside on a wide plate or rimmed baking sheet. Fit mixer with a paddle attachment and add butter. Beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- Add egg and vanilla extract to stand mixer and beat until fully incorporated. Slowly add flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Take dough between palms and roll dough into 1-inch balls. Roll each ball in reserved sugar mixture. Transfer balls to prepared baking sheet and place about 1 inch apart.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Cookies should be golden and slightly puffed with a cracked surface. After removing cookies from oven, let stand on cookie sheet 2–3 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool.