These are the perfect chewy cookies for the holidays. With a little bit of sweet and spice and all that’s nice.
Makes: 15Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¾ cup plus 2 Tbsp. lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground cardamom
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. ground allspice
- ⅛ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp. ground cloves
- ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1¼ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. gluten-free baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1 egg at room temperature
- ½ tsp. alcohol-free vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, allspice, pepper, and cloves. Remove ⅛ cup of sugar-spice mixture and set aside on a wide plate or rimmed baking sheet. Fit mixer with a paddle attachment and add butter. Beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- Add egg and vanilla extract to stand mixer and beat until fully incorporated. Slowly add flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Take dough between palms and roll dough into 1" balls. Roll each ball in reserved sugar mixture. Transfer balls to prepared baking sheet and place about 1" apart.
- Bake 8–10 minutes. Cookies should be golden and slightly puffed with a cracked surface. After removing cookies from oven, let stand on cookie sheet 2–3 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool.