Champignons à la Grecque (Greek Mushrooms)
This mushroom salad is supposed to be Greek, but you can only find this recipe in France, where you will see this mushroom salad in every charcutier traiteur, the traditional pork and catering shop found in every small town.
Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 5 hours 10 minutes
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup button mushrooms, washed and trimmed
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 15 coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. thyme
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, pour the water and the white wine. Add the tomato paste and stir well. The paste should completely dissolve in the liquid. Add the mushrooms and the onions. Stir well and reduce the heat to low.
- Add the coriander, sugar, thyme, lemon juice, the bay leaves, and olive oil. Stir again. Cover and simmer for at least 1 hour. Remove from heat, stir well, then add salt and pepper. Leave in the refrigerator for at least half a day.
- Serve very cold, as an appetizer.