This flatbread is unleavened bread, which means it has no yeast, baking powder, baking soda, or other leavening agents in it. It is sometimes called “fry bread.”
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 4 Tbsp. ghee
- Make the dough by combining the flours together, then make a well in the center.
- Add the warm water to the well and mix the flour into it until it comes together. Knead for 5 minutes to make a smooth dough. Divide the dough into 6 pieces and roll them into balls. Dust the balls with flour and pat them out into 6-inch circles.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet to high and melt the ghee on it.
- Cook the dough circles in the ghee for about 15 seconds per side. They will puff up in the middle and brown in little spots. Serve warm.