Chapon Farci (Stuffed Capon)
Save to My Recipes
Stuffed capon is a great option for a small holiday party. A smaller bird, but definitely full of flavor!
Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 3 hours 10 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 capon (6 lbs.)
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- 2 slices stale French bread
- 3 medium shallots, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, divided (1 peeled and diced, 3 unpeeled)
- 7 oz. ground veal
- 3 oz. bulk sausage
- 2½ lbs. precooked chestnuts, divided
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ cup water
- Sprinkle kosher salt all over the capon. Put a cloth on it and leave at room temperature while preparing the stuffing.
- Pour the milk in a small bowl, and soak the bread slices in it. Put shallots and one garlic clove in a blender with the milk bread slices and the ground veal, and process for 1 minute. Put the mixture in a large bowl, use a fork to incorporate the sausage meat, and add ½ pound chestnuts. Add the parsley, egg, salt, and pepper. Toss well until the mixture seems combined.
- Stuff the stuffing in the bird, then truss the bird. Put the capon in a roasting pan. Pour ¼ cup water at the bottom, and add the three unpeeled garlic cloves. Put the capon in a cold oven, then set the heat at 400°F. With a spoon, regularly sprinkle the capon with the cooking juices. Cook for 3 hours.
- About 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time, add the remaining 2 pounds of chestnuts to the bottom of the dish.
- When the cooking time is up, remove the chestnuts with a slotted spoon and put them on a serving dish. Put the capon in it. Serve warm.