Chapon Farci (Stuffed Capon)
Stuffed capon is a great option for a small holiday party. It's smaller than the traditional turkey, but definitely full of flavor!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 3 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 tsp. coarse salt, divided
- 1 capon (6 lbs.)
- 1⁄3 cup whole milk
- 2 slices stale French bread
- 3 medium shallots, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, divided
- 7 oz. ground veal
- 3 oz. bulk sausage
- 2 1⁄2 lbs. precooked chestnuts, divided
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Sprinkle 3 teaspoons salt over capon, cover with a kitchen towel, and leave at room temperature while preparing the stuffing.
- Place bread in a small bowl and pour milk over the slices. Transfer soaked bread to a blender or food processor. Add shallots, 1 garlic clove, and ground veal. Process for 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and stir in sausage, 1⁄2 pound chestnuts, parsley, egg, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Spoon stuffing into bird, truss bird with kitchen twine, and place in a large roasting pan. Pour 1⁄4 cup water into the bottom of the pan and add remaining 3 garlic cloves. Place pan in a cold oven, then set the heat at 400°F. Roast for 2 1⁄2 hours, regularly basting capon with cooking juices.
- Add remaining 2 pounds chestnuts to the bottom of the pan and cook for 30 minutes more.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer chestnuts to a serving dish and top with capon. Serve warm.